ft. Teddy & Journey
Puppy Training That’s Tailored to You & Your Dog
Fun, Positive & Effective Training
Let us start your puppy off right! Our training helps with immediate issues, foundation training skills, socialization and housetraining. Together, we can help set your puppy up to be a confident adult dog and family pet.
About Puppy Training
Puppy training is meant for young puppies as early as 8 weeks old. Our training sessions are designed for puppy parents seeking one-to-one training in the comfort of their own home or at locations such as the park, shopping center, your office, a pet store etc. Training sessions are designed specifically to meet the unique needs of you and your puppy. All sessions provide hands-on learning and practice. Training is provided using humane and positive reinforcement-based methods.
We can help with:
- Foundation Training Skills (Focus, sit, down, come)
- Socialization (Intro to new people, dogs, sounds, & new places)
- Puppy Problems (nipping, chewing, destruction etc.)
- Positive interactions between your puppy and your kids
- Confidence Building for Shy, Fearful or Anxious Dogs
- Impulse Control
- Potty Training
- Crate Training
- Leash Walking Skills
- Go to place
- Leave it / Drop it
- Being polite with guests and out in public
- Assistance in purchasing the right supplies, toys, bones etc.
- and much more!
Our approach is to teach owners how to teach, guide and navigate their dogs to success. We do this by providing one-on-one lessons that are customized for each dog and owner. Training is provided using positive reinforcement-based methods and a LIMA approach (Least Intrusive, Minimally Aversive).
What is Positive Reinforcement Training?
Positive reinforcement means reinforcing your dog for doing the right behavior. When teaching a dog skills, we want to reinforce their behavior. When a behavior is reinforced, it is likely to be repeated. Reinforcement can be in the form of treats, toys, praise etc. Through clear reinforcement, practice and consistency, the goal is to get your dog to respond to cues with little to no food.
Benefits of Positive Reinforcement and LIMA Training:
- Proven results for both training & behavior modification for dogs of all ages and breeds
- Training becomes enjoyable for your dog as he/she gets rewarded for a job well done
- Teaches skills while setting boundaries and rules in a clear and consistent manner
- Fosters a powerful relationship between the dog & dog owner using a friendly & humane approach
Why is Puppy Training important?
Puppy training is important because:
- It teaches puppies and their owners about obedience skills, life skills & social skills
- It helps create a relationship between the puppy and owner
- Sets rules & boundaries for the puppy and owner
- Creates a polite family pet
- Helps prevent problem behaviors
- Teaches owners about their puppy and how to work with and manage their puppy in specific situations
Need help before you get your puppy?
Be prepared! Hire us to answer your questions and concerns before you bring your puppy home. Learn more about pre-dog consultations!
Helpful Puppy Information
Frequently Asked Questions
When should you start training a puppy?
Training your puppy should start right away because a puppy is a learning machine! A puppy is most impressionable at a young age. They can learn skills, rules, boundaries, what they like and don’t like all at an early age. To learn more you can read our blog about starting training early by clicking here.
My puppy is very mouthy and nippy, what do I do?
It is normal for a puppy to mouth. Mouthing can occur for a number of reasons. It can occur because:
- A puppy is teething
- The puppy is curious and is learning about the world around them
- The puppy is bored and/or creating its own fun
- Overstimulated and/or overly tired
- Trying to communicate that they are not comfortable
How long does it take to potty train a puppy?
This really depends on how consistent and structured you are with your potty training plan. Some can learn this in a matter of days, while others may take a few weeks or months. A puppy needs to urinate about every 30 minutes to 1 hour and they may defecate about 3-4 times a day. Making sure to bring them out regularly is key to reducing the number of accidents. To learn more on how potty train successfully click here.